How to Avoid Mold Poisoning in Your Home

How to Avoid Mold Poisoning in Your Home

Mold accumulation is a common phenomenon in the environment. You can find mold in your homes, in market stalls, or even on asbestos. They appear on foods and fruits that may be going bad. As this is a common occurrence in homes and surroundings, people overlook them and sometimes accidentally ingest food items with mold.Most foods with mold growth are poisonous and can cause serious health issues.


Protecting Yourself from Mold Poisoning 

This article discusses a few tips on how to avoid mold poisoning.

Exhaust High Moisture Edibles Quickly 

Mold growth is most prevalent in foods with a high moisture content. This is a result of the favorable growth conditions that the water content in these food items presents. For example, tomatoes, watermelons, cucumbers, strawberries, and other water-rich fruits and vegetables are prone to mold growth. Consuming such foods as soon as possible eliminates the chances of mold appearing on them.

However, mold can also thrive in damp environments within homes, such as crawl spaces. Ensuring proper ventilation and moisture control in these areas is crucial to prevent mold growth.

Pay Attention to Mold-prone Areas 

Mold tends to thrive in places where there is a constant availability of moisture. This is why kitchens are a potential breeding ground. Areas in the kitchen, such as cupboards, underneath sinks, and around taps, experience mold sprouts frequently. Most of these places are used to store kitchen wares that are used in the food-making processes. Constantly disinfecting and ensuring that those areas are as airy and dry as possible will reduce the chances of mold growth. Another place that can easily become a culprit for mold is your crawl space. Not every home has this particular feature, but crawl spaces are somewhat notorious for their ability to trap moisture, therefore investing inĀ crawl space encapsulation in Cumberland, RI, or wherever you are, is a great way to prevent this from becoming an issue.

Make Sure Utensils are Always Clean and Dry 

A dirty, abandoned plate in the kitchen sink has a high chance of mold growth. After appearing, the mold will spread to other parts of the house. This is why it is important to ensure that dirty dishes and utensils are properly cleaned and wiped immediately after eating. Keeping these utensils clean and dry reduces the chances of getting mold poisoning.

Regular aeration of the toilet by leaving the windows and door to the toilet open will reduce or deter the presence of mold. The inflow of air will keep the toilet dry, making it less habitable for mold. Bathrooms are included in mold-prone areas due to the constant use of water for hygiene activities.

Look Out for Mold Poisoning

Symptoms Mold poisoning has varying symptoms, such as a runny or clogged nose, itchy eyes, rash, cough, and wheezing. Looking out for these symptoms can save other household members from mold poisoning. You will be able to identify mold poisoning symptoms and seek medical supervision as early as possible.

Invest in Professional Mold Inspection

Get professional help if you have a recurrent mold infestation. With the services of professionals such as Benjel, homeowners can detect the primary cause and growth of mold in their homes. These experts also proffer and implement solutions to eradicate invisible fungi in every part of your building.


The five tips above can help you reduce or eradicate the appearance of mold in your home. If you have tried the first four tips and nothing works, consider investing in professional mold cleaning services.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply