Did you know that zinc is one of the most widely used minerals in the body, found in nearly every single cell of your being? But despite its importance in the body, most people are actually quite deficient in zinc.
This is because zinc is a trace mineral — meaning that your body does not naturally produce zinc. You have to supplement it through your diet or with zinc supplements.
So, what is the function of zinc, anyway? And how do you go about choosing the best zinc supplement to ensure you meet your body’s requirements? Find out more in this blog.
What Type of Role Does Zinc Play?
Zinc and its close cousin, iron, are two of the most prevalent minerals in the body — which is quite ironic considering how underestimated their importance is. Zinc plays a key role in regulating a myriad of bodily functions as its present in practically every cell of the body.
Zinc plays the following role(s) in keeping us healthy:
- It regulates and boosts the immune system
- It regulates and aids in the process of reproduction
- It helps with hormonal balance and stability
- It’s essential for the growth of bones and cell regeneration
- Zinc is necessary for the process of blood clotting and the production of insulin
- It regulates thyroid function
Not only this, but you might have heard about zinc for weight loss and its incredible antioxidant properties. The good news is that you don’t need a huge amount of zinc to ensure all of these processes operate at an optimum level. With this in mind, let’s find out how to choose a zinc supplement that works for you.
Choosing the Best Zinc Supplement: A Quick Guide
It’s important to note that not all types of zinc are created equal. The body absorbs some forms of zinc far more efficiently than others. Here’s what to consider:
- Look for a zinc supplement that contains zinc citrate or zinc picolinate, rather than zinc oxide. The body absorbs these forms of zinc faster
- There is such a thing as taking too much zinc. Be wary of the dosage and do not exceed 40mg per day. Stick to a supplement that offers 15-30mg per serving
- Consider supplement form — some supplement forms break down more efficiently in the body. Zinc in liquid form or capsules is best
Finally, you always want to consider supplement quality. This means doing some research on trusted brands that offer high-quality products. Make sure that the brand you go for does not include extra fillers, additives, or preservatives to their products. These extra ingredients can negate the efficacy of the supplement altogether.
Make sure to choose a brand of supplement that’s vetted and certified by a third-party company, such as Underwriters Laboratories or NSF International. Zinc is not always an easy mineral to get through your diet. It’s available in foods such as milk products, whole grains, fortified cereals, red meat, poultry, eggs, nuts, and some types of beans.
If you’re a vegetarian, a vegan, or prefer not to eat dairy or meat, make sure to keep your zinc levels up with a supplement!
Learn How to Keep Your Health In-Check
There’s more to choosing the best zinc supplement than scanning the shelf for the best-looking branding. Make sure to read the ingredients list and do a little research on top brands, beforehand.
Want to learn more about your health and how to stay in shape? Check out the rest of this site for your daily health kick.